Blog: Research Assistant Position Available
January 31st, 2011
Please see the posting on CareerBeacon for additional information and to apply
Centre for Research in Family Health, Research Services
Salary: As per Health Centre Scale
Union Status: Non-union
Competition #: B-2011-0062
Posting Date: January 31, 2011
Closing Date: February 11, 2011
Start Date: ASAP
POSITION SUMMARY: The Research Assistant will provide high quality administrative and research support to Dr. McGrath and his research team in carrying out various ongoing research studies at the Centre for Research in Family Health at the IWK Health Centre. The Research Assistant will primarily report to the Centre Administrative Manager and to the Coordinators on specific studies but will work closely with all members of the research team. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Scheduling, coordinating, and organizing meetings: preparing agendas, attending meetings and recording, transcribing, and distributing minutes, preparing overheads, slides, posters and Power Point presentations
• Preparing a variety of documents: manuscripts, letters, memos, abstracts, research grant applications, ethics communications, reports.
• Answering phone calls and email messages promptly, relaying messages, processing incoming/outgoing mail and composing correspondence, typing/transcribing reports and correspondence, establishing and maintaining office filing systems to ensure efficient storage and retrieval of material, filing and processing documents, photocopying and delivering documents as needed, maintaining databases and reference materials; conducting computerized literature searches and collect, review, organize, and manage research articles
• Making travel arrangements including booking and processing claims and expense recoveries, managing grant funds and coordinating payments and reimbursements, managing and ordering supplies, maintaining and reconciling financial accounts
• Data management, entering data and maintaining databases, such as SPSS databases, preparing data sets for analysis, monitoring of research data, data coding, and other data entry tasks. Assistance with payroll entry.
• Assisting with research projects according to specific study protocols, helping to recruit participants, completing training on study protocols
SHIFTS: 25 – 30 hours/week on average. Some flexibility is required e.g., some early mornings, evenings, or weekends may be required depending on the nature of on-going studies and deadlines
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline, such as psychology, nursing, family studies or health promotion is preferred
- Graduate of a recognized Secretarial/Office Administration Diploma Program an asset
- Experience in a research environment is a strong asset
- Familiarity with the Tri-Council Policy Statement, Good Clinical Practice and granting agency guidelines is a strong asset
- Experience in a related role in a health centre or university/academic environment preferred; bookkeeping an asset.
- Administrative/secretarial experience an asset
- High degree of computer literacy and advanced working knowledge of computer programs, including Windows, Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as Adobe Acrobat, and internet resource use required. SPSS, SAP and HTML knowledge is an asset
- Experience using university and hospital libraries, including experience with EndNote/Refman/Refworks programs for referencing, formatting, article retrieving, and library management an asset.
- Good working knowledge of standard office equipment (i.e., fax, photocopier, etc) required.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills, communication and interpersonal skills, attention to detail, initiative, and ability to work with minimal supervision and productively within a team required.
- High regard for quality, accuracy, attention to detail and flexibility to meet workload demands required.
- Experience preparing research grant applications, manuscripts, protocols and reports an asset.
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Competencies in other languages an asset; French preferred.
It is the responsibility of IWK employees to self identify as internal applicants. At the time of application submission, each applicant will be asked if they are a current IWK employee.
All application information submitted for this posting may be viewed by IWK Human Resources Employees, IWK Hiring Managers and/or their delegates. The information submitted will be retained in the CareerBeacon database, and the IWK may also store and retain application information on secure computers, or within locked filing systems for up to 5 years.